There are several ways to communicate with your students in Blackboard; announcements, course messages, email, and notify through the Retention Center. Please keep in mind there are many areas of Blackboard that use the email feature; announcements, retention center, grade center, and the send email tool.
This feature in Blackboard resides outside of the course once the email is sent. Students will receive the email in their T-Wolves account and faculty receives emails in their college Outlook account.
- If you are not sending email through the Blackboard it is recommended that you create a folder in your Outlook account to collect any correspondence.
- Remember that emails sent prior to add/drop will not be sent to students that are added later in your course. Please remember to go back and review any emails you sent during preview week or before add/drop has ended to see if they need to be sent again. This is a practice you should use every semester.
- NOTE: All emails sent through Blackboard are blind CC to students.
- Blackboard Video on how to send email
Course Announcements (Public)
This feature allows content to be saved in the course but also sent as an email to students. This feature could be used to replace the forward option available in ANGEL course mail.
- Another advantage of using course announcements, new students can view important information that was posted before the end of Add/Drop.
- Blackboard Video on how to post an announcement
This feature is an internal private communication tool. The messages stay within the course.
- The advantage of this feature is content always remains within the course.
- The disadvantage is faculty and students must go into Blackboard to view any course messages.
- Blackboard Video on how to send course messages
The Retention Center in Blackboard provides an easy way for you to discover at risk students. Correspondence sent from the Retention Center will be recorded in the center for later reference. Once the message is sent through the Retention Center it goes out to the students T-Wolves account. This means that after the messages is sent any responses will transpire between the students T-wolves college email and the faculty Outlook account.
- If the email/notification is sent through the Retention Center a copy of the mail will be saved within the course.
- The retention center email/notification goes out to the students T-Wolves account and the faculty Outlook account.
- Video on how to notify through the Retention Center
***I recommend that you add the T-Wolves module to your course home page. This will provide students with the link to T-Wolves from within your Blackboard course. Here is a video on adding a module to the course home page.