Online Education: Accessibility
Faculty members at NCCC are committed to meeting the needs of all students. The department of e-Learning would like to make it easy for you to provide course content that meets accessibility guidelines. The following website was developed as a product of the Online Accessibility SUNY FACT2 task group who was charged with identifying competencies and skills sets related to online accessibility and to provide professional development opportunities for SUNY.
NCCC Accessibility Resources
- Accessibility Statements 3rd Party Content
- Selecting Text Books and Accessibility
- Accessibility Workshops
FACT2 – Online Accessibility
The new website will help you learn more about why accessibility matters, how you can learn about it, and resources for verifying the accessibility of your materials.
Why Accessibility Matters– My Journey Through Darkness – video
- Iowa State University – Digital Access (NEW)
- Portland Community Colleges – Web Accessibility for Online Course Content
PCC Online Accessibility Handbook
Accessibility Quick Guide
PCC website with tutorials and resources
Legal side of accessibility
- Open SUNY OSCQR Rubric: Accessibility – Open SUNY has included an accessibility tracker as part of the OSCQR (Open SUNY COTE Quality Rubric) Rubric. Within the OSCQR Rubric there is a separate sheet to log accessibility issues.
- Open SUNY – SUNY Web Accessibility Effort
- SUNY – Accessibility For All
- Donna’s Quick Tip Guide to Accessibility– Printable PDF
NCCC Compliance Review Project Checklist – Includes resources based on each checklist item.
- Buffalo State College Instructional Resources on Accessibility– This site provides easy to use checklists on how to create Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Audio, Video, Tables, and accessible images.
- MERLOT Pedagogy Portal: A wealth of online materials and tutorials to help you to make your online course accessible
- Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
- NCCC Quick Tips for Making Content Accessible
- NCCC OSCQR Accessible Rubric (Based on Open SUNY OSCQR Accessibility Rubric)
- VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) – What is a VPAT?
- Access for All Students – This site provides links to the VPAT for many 3rd party products used in education.
- “Center for Online Learning and Students with Disabilities.” COLSD VPAT Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 June 2015.